At times, while you try to install or uninstall an application on Windows Vista, the installer might suddenly fail to respond. If you face this issue, you should try to troubleshoot by checking whether the installer engine is installed properly. Sometimes, you will get an error message from the installer saying that the Windows Installer service could not be accessed.
Instructions to enable Windows Installer
If your Windows Installer is turned off, you can start by turning it on. To do this, follow the instructions given below.
- Kick off this Microsoft tech support procedure by clicking the Windows “Start” button on your desktop.
- Continue with this procedure by selecting “Run” from the Start menu.
- Type “services.msc” in the run text box and click “OK”. This will open up the services window.
- Locate “Windows Installer” and double-click on it.
- Change the Startup type to “Manual”.
- Finally, end this Microsoft tech support procedure by clicking “Start” to enable the Windows installer service.
Error messages keep coming up
Another common problem that you may face with the installer engine is the issue with Windows installer message box which keeps popping up on your desktop. If the error message is saying “The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable”, you can fix it by reinstalling the application. You might also have to use a registry cleaner tool to delete any files or information concerning the missing application.
How to prevent such errors
In order to prevent errors in Windows Installer, you need to constantly check Microsoft’s support website for new security updates and latest versions of patches for the Windows Installer. You can use Microsoft’s utility to clean up and delete installation information regarding applications which were installed using Windows Installer. Try reinstalling the application after using the clean up utility.
If you are not able to resolve the problem you are facing with Windows installer even after following the Microsoft tech support instructions mentioned in this article, it’s better to go for further assistance from Microsoft technical support personnel. The technical support team will help you to resolve any kinds of problem that you are facing with Windows Installer in Vista operating system.